Two explosions in Afghanistan’s capital have killed more than 20 people, officials say. The so-called “Islamic State” claimed responsibility for the attacks, which took place near an Afghan spy agency facility.At least 25 people were killed and dozens injured in two suicide bombings in central Kabul on Monday morning, Afghan police said.
The blasts struck close to one another during rush hour in Shash Darak, an area that hosts a number of foreign embassies, as well as NATO’s headquarters and buildings belonging to the Afghan NDS intelligence agency.
Read more: Kabul residents in shock after wave of violence
Targeting rush hour
Police said an attacker on a motorcycle detonated the first bomb just before 8 a.m. local time (0400 UTC), killing at least four people.
The second blast followed moments later, and was reportedly set off by an assailant disguised as a journalist among the crowd gathering to report on the initial blast.
A security source said both were suicide blasts.
Agence France Presse (AFP) chief photographer Shah Marai, as well as two journalists from 1TV and one from Tolo TV were among the dead.
Militant group “Islamic State” (IS) claimed responsibility for the bombings in a statement issued via its Amaq news agency.
Read more: Afghanistan and the West ‘share a common threat’
AFP Global News Director Michele Leridon said: “This is a devastating blow, for the brave staff of our close-knit Kabul bureau and the entire agency.”
“Shah Marai was a treasured colleague who spent more than 15 years documenting the tragic conflict in Afghanistan for AFP… We also send our condolences to the families of other journalists killed in this terrible attack.”
Najib Sharifi, the head of the Afghan Journalists Safety Committee, said the incident “makes it clear that Afghanistan, where violence and killing of reporters is frequent, is the most dangerous country for journalists.”
Read more: Why is ‘Islamic State’ targeting Shiites in Afghanistan?
Upcoming elections: Afghan President Ashraf Ghani is under pressure to restore security ahead of parliamentary elections planned for October. Government forces are struggling to take back territory from a number of groups, including the Taliban and IS, which frequently stage attacks as part of their campaign to establish strict Islamic rule in Afghanistan.
Spring offensive: The Taliban has warned that it will not allow the elections to go ahead, and security officials have raised concerns about an increase in attacks in the leadup to the vote. Last week the group announced the start of its spring offensive, leading to heavy fighting in several parts of the country.
Spate of attacks: Hundreds of people have been killed and wounded in a series of blasts in Kabul since the start of the year. Last week, an IS suicide bomber killed 60 people and wounded 130 others at a voter registration center in the capital. In March, another IS attacker targeted a Shiite shrine in Kabul, killing 31 people.
Source : Kathmandutribune